A pie iron is constructed of two small, shallow metal or cast-iron plates that fit together to form a cooking vessel. These plates have long handles that let you hold your meal over an open flame without worrying about getting burned. Pie irons are an excellent camping tool since they are typically small and light for cooking without electricity. Even some pie irons have handles that you can remove for simple storage.
Seasoning A Pie Iron
Although many pie irons like the pie iron amazon now come pre-seasoned, it’s always a good idea to thoroughly season your pans as soon as you get them. After that, you’ll only need to reapply the seasoning occasionally, generally when you see wear on the pan or after it hasn’t been used for a long.
Follow these instructions to season your pie iron:
- Using soap and warm water, properly wash your pie iron and fully dry it.
- Apply the oil or fat of your choice to the pie iron.
- For around 15 minutes, place your pie iron with oil coating over open heat.
- When the pie iron begins to smoke, remove it from the heat and clean the inside of the pan with a paper towel (but be cautious, the pan will still be hot at this point).
- After cleaning, recoat it with oil and place it back on the fire until it begins to smoke again.
- Let your pie iron cool completely following the second heating before applying a final layer of oil or fat.
If you properly season your pie iron, you shouldn’t need to do it again unless you plan to use it frequently or notice rust starting to form.
Preparing Meals With A Pie Iron
The procedures for using a pie iron are relatively simple:
- Lay the pie iron on a level surface with one side open. Apply cooking oil that can resist high temperatures on the plate after that to prevent burning.
- Spray the interior of the second pie iron side with cooking oil after inserting your bread, crust, and preferred contents, and then join the two together using the hinge at the top.
- Next, set the pie iron on hot glowing coals for 2 to 5 minutes on each side, flipping it once to ensure that both sides cook.
- Finally, release the pie iron’s two sides, tap the toasted sandwich or pies onto a platter, and allow it to cool.
Methods For Cleaning A Pie Iron
Always clean your pie iron as soon as possible after each use, while it’s still hot, but don’t leave it to soak for the best results. Use a plastic scrubbing brush or bun and hot water. Unless you plan to redo the seasoning process, avoid using soap. Avoid using a dishwasher with your pie iron. Dry your pie iron entirely after cleaning it, then gently mist it with cooking oil and spread it out using a paper towel. Cookware that has previously been seasoned should be simmered for 10 to 15 minutes on a stovetop heat to maintain the seasoning. Before storage, allow it to cool.
To remove heavy food or oil buildup, use the preceding cleaning instructions to clean the item thoroughly. Afterward, the empty cookware should be placed over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes to enable the buildup to reduce into ash. After letting the cookware cool, gently scrub it with steel wool or use a butter knife to remove buildup. To bring back the finish, re-season the pie iron.
It’s fun to use a pie iron such as the pie iron amazon to cook, whether in your yard or when camping. If you go beyond the fundamentals, such as straightforward pies and sandwiches, the kind of meals you may rustle up is only constrained by your creativity.