Officials said Wednesday that 47 of the 53 migrants who died in a tracter-trailer last week outside San Antonio have been identified.
Of the identified victims, 22 were from Mexico, 19 were from Guatemala and six were from Honduras, according to the Bexar County Medical Examiner’s Office.
Four of the victims were minors, including 13-year-old Melvin Guachiac Sipac and 14-year-old Juan Wilmer Tulul Tepaz from Guatemala, and two 16-year-olds from Mexico: Misael Olivares Monterde and Yovani Valencia Olivares. The oldest victim was 55 years old. A total of 73 people were in the back of the truck.
The truck was found near San Antonio, Texas, on June 27. The driver, who pretended to be one of the victims, was due in federal court Wednesday for a hearing. Three others have been arrested.
Homero Zamorano Jr., 45, the alleged driver, faces a single count of “alien smuggling” resulting in death, and Christian Martinez, 28, faces a single count of conspiracy to transport migrants resulting in death, the U.S. attorney said.
Both men could face up to life in prison or the death penalty if convicted.
Juan Claudio D’Luna-Mendez, 23, and Juan Francisco D’Luna-Bilbao, 48, face charges of illegally possessing weapons.
Investigators from Guatemala, Mexico and the U.S. are coordinating on the case.
With News Wire Services